[Gvsig_english] Some questions regarding printing

César Martínez Izquierdo cesar.martinez at iver.es
Wed Jul 30 13:18:19 CEST 2008

Wolfgang Qual wrote:
[...]
>> However, I'd like to remark that this is an open source project, so
>> we will be happy if someone wants to push gvSIG in this field
>> (either by developing himself or by sponsoring developers).
> I think that gvSIG-users are aware of that. We know that also in the
> case of gvSIG not everything is appearing from nowhere ;)  - my idea
> was to start a discussion about the actual needs of the users. I

Sure, I really encourage this kind of discussions in the list. They
provide new ideas to developers, and also allow us to know "what the
users want(TM)".

> could imagine that some of us are willing to support the development
> via sponsoring (or not? Users opinion?). Of course, it *is* important
> for the users to know what is foreseen for gvSIG within this field
> (what will come and won't). It seems to me as if gvSIG would be very
> flexible regarding features that could be added - please correct me,
> if you do not agree.

Well, I'm not the one taking the decisions, but I'd say... yes, the
project is flexible regarding new features to add. Specially if they are
somewhat complementary with running developments/improvements.

>> I think that some improvements may be performed with little effort.
>> For example, map export to image formats, or fixing some bugs.
>> Other tasks, however, could be quite bigger, such us PDF/X3.
> Could you provide some more details? What formats (and options) could
> be easily added? I am thinking about image resolution for example.

Just export to image format (JPG, TIFF, etc) came to my mind. To get a
realistic idea about the required effort to other features, a detailed
analysis would be necessary (and I've not performed such analysis).

Currently, when the resolution of the map is set to "High", that means
600dpi. Allowing custom resolution wouldn't be a problem, as far as I
know. However, we have memory and performance problems when printing big
images, so a good behaviour with high resolutions may be a problem not
so trivial to solve, it will require significant changes in the way we
print.

> Right now, the quality of the image export files is relatively poor
> (AFAIK not much better than screenshots). Tiff-format was mentioned
> by Marcel, eps (with flexible resolution) was used by my colleague
> within ArcMap... And to all users: wouldn't it be nice to create a
> list of all features that we would like to have (for printing)? It
> would give us a better overview, I think.
>
> Thanks and all the best, Wolfgang

César Martínez Izquierdo
gvSIG development team
http://www.gvsig.gva.es

IVER T.I.
C/ Lérida 20
46009 Valencia - Spain
http://www.iver.es

Este mensaje y sus archivos son confidenciales. No está permitida su reproducción o distribución sin la autorización expresa de "IVER Tecnologías de la Información". Si usted no es el destinatario previsto, queda desautorizado cualquier uso, acceso o copia de este mensaje. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, por favor bórrelo e infórmenos por esta misma vía.