[Gvsig_english] gvSIG performances on different platforms

Mijail hmijail at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 22:50:28 CEST 2008

Another detail perhaps worth considering is the maturity /
optimization of some parts of gvSIG (or perhaps the whole Java
platform) in each OS.

I can contribute with an example: the ECW native library, which as you
might know we use in gvSIG, uses some optimizations (MMX / SSE
vectorization, for example) when compiled for Windows platforms. When
compiled for non-Windows platforms, it doesn't even try.

We don't know really how much faster is the library with those
optimizations. At some point we would like to make some comparisons
and, if the difference is important enough, port those optimizations
to the other platforms.

Regards.