[Gvsig_english] question regarding high-quality printouts

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Tue May 13 22:04:03 CEST 2008

Hi Wolfgan,

I agree with all your suggestions and I read your mail with pleasure.

In my modest opinion gvSIG is, at the moment, the best  Open source software to print maps.
In particular, it is really easy to work with. Especially when you are used to work with ArcGis.

Unfortunately, sometimes, what you see in the map doesn't correspond with the pdf exported.
For example, with labels, sometimes, I have to increase a lot their size in order to get a good result in the final pdf.
I know this is a known "bug" and the developers are working hard to solve it for the next releases.
Qgis has the same problem (in my opinion much worse). Qgis' developers are working hard to solve this problem too.

In my view, it would be great to have the choice to export the image regarding the map. Obviously, together with title, legend, North arrows and so on.
At present, you can export the image regarding the view and it would be great to export the map as image as well (such as tiff, jpeg, png).
Once you have the image is easy to transform it in a pdf.

Another option I miss very much in the map is the possibility to draw arrows.
If I am not wrong even ArcGis and Qgis don't have this option. I suppose it is difficult to implement.
Gimp doesn't allow to draw arrows (only linees). Photoshop and Scribus, on the other hand, allow it.

Best regards.

Silvio