[Gvsig_english] gvSIG build 1216: QUESTIONS

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 16:09:06 CET 2008

This is a list of questions that came to my mind when
experimenting with the new features in gvSIG 2.

Ben

---

TOPOLOGY EXTENSION

QUESTION: What does "Cluster tolerance" do?

QUESTION: I created a topology for a single layer with lots of overlapping polygons. I added the rule "POLYGONMUSTNOTOVERLAP". I set cluster tolerance and maximum number of errors both to "0".
I opened the properties for the new topology. Under "Reglas", I see that "Mayor que la tolerancia de cluster" has been added automatically. Is this OK?

QUESTION: what happens if I try to smooth or generalize a 3D Shapefile polygon? Do the Z coordinates remain untouched? If new vertices need to be added: what Z coordinates do they get? How do topological checks work for 3D features? Do they just pretend they are 2D?
(it would be easy to imagine two 3D shapes that do not overlap in 3D space but look
like they do in a 2D projection...)

SYMBOLOGY: TYPE "Categories->Unique values"

QUESTION: Where are the colour schemes stored and how can the user create customized schemes? Would it make sense to unify the colour scheme management for both raster and vector layers? Currently, there are three different ways of choosing colour schemes for raster layers, vector:categories:unique values and vector:quantities:intervals!

SYMBOLOGY: TYPE "Categories->Expressions"

QUESTION: What happens if I specify overlapping filter conditions? Does every filter apply to the full data set or is there a cascading effect? If the latter is true, then the order of filters in the list matters and there should be a way for the user to change it.

QUESTION: What happens if the features in the layer change (e.g. due to an editing operation): do the filters get refreshed automatically? If not, there needs to be a "refresh" function somewhere.

------