[Gvsig_english] install on Ubuntu 8.04 fails

Marcus C. England marcuscengland at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 14:53:26 CEST 2008

You should not install with the sudo command. Assuming the .bin file is
on your desktop, right-click on it and select "Properties". In the
properties dialog select the "Permissions" tab. Check the check-box for
"Allow executing file as a program".

It used to be, at that point, you could then double-click on it and
execute it, but Ubuntu doesn't allow that anymore for some reason. Pull
up a terminal and cd to your desktop. Run the following command:

./name-of-file.bin

In other words, use the period, slash and full name of the file. The
file should now execute.

-Marcus