[Gvsig_english] install on Ubuntu 8.04 fails

Henning Lorenz henning.lorenz at geo.uu.se
Tue Oct 7 15:25:06 CEST 2008

That gave the same result. But I discovered the (strange) reason: I'm on
an eeepc with the operating system on a 4gb main solid state drive (boot
partition) and my home folder in another partition on the 16 gb drive
linked with a symbolic link to it's original location on the boot
partition. This is the first time that this setup makes trouble.
However, after copying the bin installer file to the boot partition, I'm
now able to install.

Henning

Marcus C. England wrote:
> You should not install with the sudo command. Assuming the .bin file is
> on your desktop, right-click on it and select "Properties". In the
> properties dialog select the "Permissions" tab. Check the check-box for
> "Allow executing file as a program".
>
> It used to be, at that point, you could then double-click on it and
> execute it, but Ubuntu doesn't allow that anymore for some reason. Pull
> up a terminal and cd to your desktop. Run the following command:
>
> ./name-of-file.bin
>
> In other words, use the period, slash and full name of the file. The
> file should now execute.
>
> -Marcus
>
> On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 12:38 +0100, Benjamin Ducke wrote:
>
>> May be that "root" does not have the right to start
>> X clients from the console. Try this:
>>
>> xhost +
>>
>> before doing the sudo.
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> Henning Lorenz wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Did anybody succeed in installing gvSIG on Linux. I'm on Ubuntu 8.04 and
>>> the install (sudo) with the bin files fails always with
>>>
>>> hl at Sir:/media/HOME/user/hl/Desktop$ sudo sh
>>> gvSIG-1_1_1-linux-i586-withjre.bin
>>> Unpacking...
>>> Launching instalation program....
>>> gvSIG-1_1_1-linux-i586-withjre.bin: 12: ./launcher-Linux: Permission denied
>>>
>>> gvSIG-1_1_1-linux-i586-withjre.bin: 28: ./launcher-Linux: Permission denied
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Thanks!
>>>
>>> Henning

Henning Lorenz
Research scientist (Arctic tectonics)