[Gvsig_english] Tiff image pyramid

Simone Giannecchini simone.giannecchini at geo-solutions.it
Fri Oct 10 15:36:18 CEST 2008

Ciao Kami,
GeoTools handles geotiff pyramids  through JAI-ImageIO. We are
currently  extending JAI-ImageIO with the Imageio-ext (see
https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/) to support new formats from GDAL,
hence as soon as 1.5.3 gets released we will start tagging a first
official release. Roughly speaking, we should have official releases
for imageio-ext within the end of the year (FYI, we are also building
support for JP2 through kakadu directly and we are also looking into
integrating support for ImageMagick).

I have not looked at the gvSIG codebase lately, even though I had an
interesting discussion with the gcSIG mobile developers as well as
with Victor Olaya (sextante) during the OSGEO codesprint in bolsena
about collaboration on the IO raster side of the gvSIG world. As far
as I know gvSIG should make use of the pyramids even though I am aware
of some limitation. However, gvSG developers should have more
information on this (feel also free to correct me if I am wrong).

Just out of curiosity, I think it would be great to try and
collaborate at the raster I/O level with the gvSIG team since what we
are doing is currently used in GeoServer, GeoTools and uDig and
widening the audience would be just great IMHO. I'll leave this up to
the gvSIG developers/PMs.

Ciao,
Simone.

Eng. Simone Giannecchini