[Gvsig_english] Tiff image pyramid

Kami ROUSSEAU kamikulture at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 10 06:13:08 CEST 2008

Hello,

I have a tiff file that contains a full size 16Kx16K image, compressed using JPEG. The file also contains ten reduced size overviews. When this image is opened in gvSIG, the overviews are not used; instead, the full size image is red in memory. This reading operation takes a long time to complete.

I know that Java Advanced Imaging (JAI) can handle image pyramids and that Geotools uses this capability. I also know that gdal can use image pyramids. Quantum GIS uses gdal to display an overview of the image.

Is there an existing automatic or semi-automatic way to read an appropriately sized overview instead, using gvSIG / jgdal?

If so, what is it?
If not, what development would be necessary? What are the relevent libraries / classes? Is there any reading material that could help?

Kami Rousseau