[Gvsig_english] printing

pvmstg pvmstg at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 23:19:21 CEST 2008

Hi all,

Sure to only have one source to do all is the easy way... But I agree
about not redo the weel.  So... export the map in a way other program
can manage... it's a way to let developpers concentrate on the gis
base...  And exchanges can be done with the development team of these
outsides programs to better integrate gv_sig with these softwares and
vice-versa.

Just following some opensource projects and you see a lot of work...
done and to be done.

I read about gimp for bitmap, inscape for vector... Maybe a layout
program like scibus should be targeted... Export the map layout in
gv_sig and only and other software... for layout the map. include more
text, picture, vector data etc...  I wich I can export from gv_sig the
symbo use in the map and do what I whan't with it (like in arcmap...
convert to graphic and the you can change the label, size of picto etc
to meet the index need).

About svg, I'm not an expert but in the realword, postscript, pdf/X
are the standards to be able to send to prepress (mostly postcripts)
if needed.  Svg  is great but... not for professionnal use for now.

One software not mention,, maybe because is only in development is
"sk1" .  It's prepress oriented so I think it also could be a good
way... to finish maps to go on prepress... (sK1 is an open source
vector graphics editor similar to CorelDRAW, Adobe Illustrator, or
Freehand. First of all sK1 is oriented for PostScript processing.)

For me scribus should be targeted since it's what we whant... make map
for publishing and only a DPS is versatile enough for serious work.
Color separation, color profile, cmyk, standard compliance are all
required. But others should also be in the mind...

Marcel