[Gvsig_english] printing

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 10:06:39 CEST 2008

[following up on Wolfgang's point of view]

Of course, it is very important for users to be able and rely solely on
gvSIG for the final output. I was just thinking about those cases where
people simply *must* process gvSIG's output in an external software,
maybe because they have to fit it into a layout or apply drawing or
labeling styles that gvSIG does not provide (e.g. for publishing maps as
part of a book or proceedings publication with predetermined styles).

After all, a GIS is not an illustration software and it will (and
should) never provide all of the layout facilities that e.g. Inkscape
offers. For that reason, in our company, all GIS map data is part of
a workflow that involves an illustration package for producing the
final output. And I imagine it will be the same in many other places.

Right now, people import PDF or PS outputs into their layout software,
but a cleanly structured SVG would be a lot easier to edit with
available open source tools, don't you think so?

For that reason, I would vote for developing a high-quality SVG export
filter with a focus on clean SVG data structures and fine-grained
control over vector and embedded raster data.
(note that this does not stand in the way of developing gvSIG's own
layout tools further).

I think the easiest way to develop these thoughts further is to share
a word processing document online. I have create a bare-bones Google
Docs text file. All you need is a Google Mail account which is free and
easy to get (and very useful, I think). Then click on this link and
start typing away:

You could send me a short message with your Google Mail address:

benducke at gmail.com

I could then add you to the list of people to share the document with
and you will get a link to get access to the document.

Let me know if any of you object to this and we will find another
way (maybe someone's Wiki)?

Ben

José Antonio Canalejo Alonso wrote:
> I think it would be better if gvSIG could create the final printing file. In this case the user doesn´t need another software to continue working with the map or export in other formats.
> José Antonio

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeology Ltd
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES