[Gvsig_english] gvSIG and Java on Mac OS X

Henning Lorenz henning.lorenz at geo.uu.se
Thu Oct 16 16:00:08 CEST 2008

You can set your Java Preferences in /Applications/Utilities/Java/Java
Preferences.app

Henning

On 2008-10-16, at 15:25 , Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> Hi Agustin,
>
> thanks for those pointers. I will try linking to my JRE as you
> suggested, just to make sure that everything runs OK.
>
> But for a "proper" solution, I would like to avoid anything
> that touches system files, so the installation can be completely
> self-contained and won't require root access.
>
> Awesome that you got gvSIG running on PowerPCs, too.
> I will have to take a look at that. For now, the Intel version
> is giving me enough gray hair ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben
>
> Agustin Diez Castillo wrote:
>> Ben,
>> You can force Mac yo use a particular version of Java.
>> All versions reside at
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions
>> and there a link point CurrentJDK to the version of your choice.
>> So you only need to point CurrentJDK to your 1.6 JRE.
>> But anyhow if you're in PPC machine you need to take out the crs
>> folder (this is true after the 913 build including 12xx). I've
>> prepared a Mac version with sextante and gvSIG mobile for PPC
>> machines [1].
>> Agustin
>> [1] http://gvsigmac.blogspot.com/2008/08/gvsig-112-running-on-mac-ppcs.html
>> El Oct 16, 2008, a las 2:47 PM, Benjamin Ducke escribió:
>>> Dear developers/list,
>>>
>>> I am currently trying to understand how Java works on Mac OS X.
>>> Since Apple decides what Java gets installed on any version of
>>> Mac OS X, not the user, I would like to be able and bundle my own
>>> 1.6 JRE with gvSIG, so that I can deploy an identical version on
>>> any Mac.
>>>
>>> As a JRE, I am using the Soylatte FreeBSD port and that seems to run
>>> fine, but gvSIG always picks up the system's outdated Java 1.5 (I am
>>> running on Mac OS 10.4 with no intentions whatsoever to update
>>> to 10.5).
>>>
>>> Now, I have tried to recreate the whole Java startup procedure using
>>> a shell script, which I modeled after the one for Linux:
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> # gvSIG.sh: startup script for gvSIG on Mac OS X
>>> PATH_TO_GVSIG="/Users/bartsimpson/Desktop/gvSIG1.1.2.app"
>>> PATH_TO_RES="$PATH_TO_GVSIG/Contents/Resources/gvSIG/gvSIG 1.1.2
>>> build 1045.app/Contents/Resources"
>>>
>>> export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PATH_TO_RES/NativeLibs"
>>> export PROJ_LIB="$PATH_TO_RES/Java/gvSIG/extensiones/org.gvsig.crs/
>>> data"
>>>
>>> cd "$PATH_TO_RES/Java"
>>>
>>> # Setup Java environment and run gvSIG
>>>
>>> # Java tuning settings
>>> MAX_HEAP=512
>>> INI_HEAP=512
>>>
>>> JAVA_VM="/Users/bartsimpson/Desktop/soylatte16-i386-1.0.3/bin/java"
>>>
>>> $JAVA_VM -Djava.library.path="../NativeLibs" -cp andami.jar:./lib/
>>> gvsig-i18n.jar:./lib/beans.jar:./lib/log4j-1.2.8.jar:./lib/iver-
>>> utiles.jar:./lib/castor-0.9.5.3-xml.jar:./lib/crimson.jar:./lib/
>>> xerces_2_5_0.jar:./lib/javaws.jar:./lib/xml-apis.jar:./lib/
>>> looks-2.0.2.jar:./lib/JWizardComponent.jar:./lib/kxml2.jar:./lib/
>>> jcalendar.jar:./lib/jh.jar -Xms${INI_HEAP}M -Xmx${MAX_HEAP}M