[Gvsig_english] regarding new symbology and labelling of gvsig 2.0 devel

Francisco José Peñarrubia fjp at scolab.es
Sat Oct 25 20:59:06 CEST 2008

Hi Wolfgang.

Jaume gave me this message for you :-) :

"Of course SVG support is included. I've widely tested it when I was in
the project and works gracefully apart a little change that has to be
done for files made by Inkscape. But once this change is made (adding or
removing one attribute, not sure) they are ok. The symbol editor allows
to create such symbols and many other types and combine them. And SVG is
also used in labeling. That means labels can contain styles with pics or
templates like traffic signs where you define where to put the text
inside the label which text symbol (not only font and size but
formatting, etc...) and render it together the style.

And about the labeling, not sure what do you mean. If you talk about the
labeling in the extSymbology extension which includes the smart labeling
engine, well I'll give some tips. This new labeling engine detects
conflicts and tries to relocate the label, it also uses the label styles
and a label expression calculator to allow dynamic text creation. At the
time I left the project (three months ago) this calculator only had two
or three string functions. But extending it is extremely easy from a
developer point of view, for sure the gvSIG guys did it! So, because of
the label relocation and this dynamic and customizable text calculation
the labeling becomes really powerful (and remains surprisingly fast).
The bad side of this is as far new features allow lots of combinations
and options, the dialog for the engine became a bit complicated. In my
opinion it is true the first times you use it, but after the philosophy
of this labeling is understood then the dialog becomes quite
user-friendly. Specially when it is compared to the complexity of the
engine. I guess the user's manual will throw light upon this feature, at
least lots of new pages to be read for sure :P.

I hope you enjoy it and find it useful.

Best regards,
Jaume "

By the way,  gvSIG 1.x already supports SVG files in maps. You can add
them to the map inserting a picture. About North Arrows, Silvio Grosso
[1] send to us a big collection of North Arrows in SVG format (thanks
again Silvio) and they are included in the last stable release (I think).

[1]:
http://www.nabble.com/Brand-new-set-of-50-North-arrows-for-the-Gvsig%27s-community-td14707341.html#a14707341

Cheers.