[Gvsig_english] "bleeding" polygon themes and how to repair them

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Tue Oct 28 15:40:53 CET 2008

Wolfgang Qual wrote:
> Dear developers,
> I think you know that problem: a polygon theme has some polygons those
> boundary is not perfectly closed. Thus, when opening that layer, the
> polygon "bleeds to death" - the whole view gets coloured.
> Well, I just had this to happen - in ArcView 3.2.

I believe that the shapefile spec requires that area shapes be created
in a clockwise direction. So that as you "walk" around the area, inside
is always to your right.
If an area is created in reverse (by GPS or digitizing) then in Arcview
3.2 you'll see the whole map colored, as you described.

Sometimes you can fix badly made shapes by just saving as a new
shapefile. In addition there are some shapefile repair tools out there
that will sometimes overcome this problem.

Good luck...
Micha