[Gvsig_english] gvSIG and external tables, font-encoding etc.

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at gmx.net
Thu Apr 2 13:50:47 CEST 2009

Hi list,
I have some remarks/questions on external tables and font-encoding regarding
gvSIG 1.1.2 and the coming versions of gvSIG.

* currently, it is not possible to edit external tables that were imported
from csv. It seems, as if only dbf-files can be edited in gvSIG. You might
say: well, do this conversion within openoffice. Right. But on my computer, I
only have openoffice 2.3 installed (the official computer of my office) - and
this version of calc is not able to write me a dbf-file. It simply crashes.
This strange behaviour is reported as a bug in calc. I can also convert this
file in excel (currently, excel is still available..), but there, I do not
have any possibility to modify/set the font encoding.
* Font-encoding: I do not know, which font-encoding gvSIG accepts. I imported
a dbf-file that was created in Excel. This table has some values (text) which
needs to be processed. To be more precise: I need to convert substrings
like 'ae' into Ä (german umlaut). I found the function (replace) in the field
calculator of gvSIG. But this will not create an 'Ä' but only a square-shaped
character - I think that the font-encoding is the reason for this.

Therefore, I would be really happy, if you could answer me the following
questions:

* how do you work with csv-files in gvSIG: is it really true that only dbf can
be edited? Which software are you using to save files as dbf?
* which font-encoding is used within gvSIG? Or: which encoding do you use when
exporting a file from openoffice into a different format?
* will there be a possiblity to edit tables derived from csv/txt in gvSIG?

Best regards,
Wolfgang