[Gvsig_english] gvSIG and external tables, font-encoding etc.

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at gmx.net
Tue Apr 7 10:26:21 CEST 2009

Hi Francisco and list,
maybe another important information:
I tried the following:
1) create a _new empty point-shapefile_ with only one string-colum in gvSIG.
2) use the field-calculator and set all records of that column to 'tae'
3) use the replace-tool in the field calculator to replace each 'tae'
with '_TÄ': replace([field1],'tae','_TÄ').
However, gvSIG will not write that 'Ä', but only a little square (on two
machines, one running 1.1.2 and the other 1.9 alpha something).
_But_ it _is_ possible to manually write 'Ä' in the table. This is very
strange...
By the way: typing "echo $LANG" on the command line will give that result:
de_DE.UTF-8
Could this setting cause these problems? Your comments are apprecitated very
much... I really do need these Umlauts....

Best,
Wolfgang