[Gvsig_english] Export Shapefile behaviour with Joined Tables

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Tue Dec 22 23:06:43 CET 2009

Hi,

This is another - "it would be better" issues.

When you join two tables and then export the shapefile to "hard code"
the information so to speak. Despite having unique names the resulting
attribute table to the exported shapefile has "j_" in front of all the
field names. This is frustrating because if you have a field name, like
I did, Active2005, Active2007 and Active2009 once this prefix is added
the resulting table has tree fields called "J_ACTIVE20" as the fields
are truncated to 10 characters.

I suppose I could understand this behaviour if you have duplicate fields
in the original joined table (i.e. the use of a prefix) but the creation
of a table that has duplicate field names is a violation of the rules
around DBFs (i.e. you can't have two fields the same).

The export facility should review the output file's attribute table
names and confirm that duplicate names have not been generated.

Personally, I think that if you have a joined table and no fields have
the same name then the exported table should just be a reflection of
this - i.e. the "J_" should not be inserted.
--

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd