[Gvsig_english] JOIN

Kai-Christian Bruhn bruhn at fh-mainz.de
Wed Feb 4 13:44:36 CET 2009

Dear list,

this and the related thread starts to convince me that I'm the problem
in joining attribute tables and not gvSIG. Nevertheless, I tried several
times to join an imported csv-file with a shape-dbf-file - and failed.
So please dwell a little more on that subject.
The details:
gvSIG OA Digital Edition with Java 1.6.0_07 on XP Professional
A shapefile with 2D-points, an integer attribute fo_id and more string
type attribute fields.
A csv-file like this:
fo_id;type
1;burial
2;single finding
3;burial
4;pit
etc...
Both tables are in the project manager table view but join wouldn't
work. I guess the problem emerges already during the import
of the csv, as it seems to take the fo_id as a string type, not as
integer. So when trying to join fo_id from the shape-dbf the dropdown of
the last dialogue where to choose the field from the csv for joining is
empty. For testing I went the other way around, calling the imported csv
first and the shape-dbf second. The last dropdown then offers only the
string-type fields from the attribute table of the shape-dbf.

Is there any way to edit plain table data in gvsig?
Is there a way to assign types to imported table fields?
Does it need a csvt-file as in ogr2ogr csv-handling to assign types to data?

Or am I simply incapable?

Cheers

Kai