[Gvsig_english] gvSIG 1.12 and editing big tables - a problem?

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at gmx.net
Mon Feb 16 16:33:49 CET 2009

Hi list,
this is the last post for today. I just did some editing with a huge attribute
table (roughly 150.000 entries). This table contains lots of addresses,
separated into street names, housenumber and additional information on the
house number. I created a new attribute column the new connected
address-string and a temporary column for interim results. I used "toString"
and the "replace" option to translate the housenumber into a string and
connected all three columns (street name, string housenumber and additonal
address info) using "+" and ' ' for the blanks.
It was not possible to do all this in one step; I waited for an hour, but
still gvSIG was calculating and calculating. Therefore, I only selected some
lines - no problem (and this took me only some minutes). Of course, it would
be better, if I could type in the correct command, click "OK" and let gvSIG
do the rest. You might say: working with such big (dbf-)tables is lunatic...
But it was easy doing this in AV3.2 and I have to do it anyhow...
Maybe I was too impatient (as I stopped gvSIG with brute force -->
Strg+Alt+Esc). Normally, I would consider gvSIG as very fast regarding its
table-tools (like selecting). Any development going on for 2.0 regarding
tables?

Your comments are welcome (as usual).
Best,
Wolfgang?