[Gvsig_english] gvSIG 1.12 and editing big tables - a problem?

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 09:53:09 CET 2009

Hi Wolfgang,

have you tried updating the Java VM your gvSIG runs on to
the latest Sun 1.6 version? Memory management, garbage collection
etc. has been greatly improved over the last two years or so
since 1.6 first came out. I imagine this would make editing large
tables a lot "snappier". Worth a try, anyhow.

Ben

Wolfgang Qual wrote:
> Hi list,
> this is the last post for today. I just did some editing with a huge attribute
> table (roughly 150.000 entries). This table contains lots of addresses,
> separated into street names, housenumber and additional information on the
> house number. I created a new attribute column the new connected
> address-string and a temporary column for interim results. I used "toString"
> and the "replace" option to translate the housenumber into a string and
> connected all three columns (street name, string housenumber and additonal
> address info) using "+" and ' ' for the blanks.
> It was not possible to do all this in one step; I waited for an hour, but
> still gvSIG was calculating and calculating. Therefore, I only selected some
> lines - no problem (and this took me only some minutes). Of course, it would
> be better, if I could type in the correct command, click "OK" and let gvSIG
> do the rest. You might say: working with such big (dbf-)tables is lunatic...
> But it was easy doing this in AV3.2 and I have to do it anyhow...
> Maybe I was too impatient (as I stopped gvSIG with brute force -->
> Strg+Alt+Esc). Normally, I would consider gvSIG as very fast regarding its
> table-tools (like selecting). Any development going on for 2.0 regarding
> tables?
>
> Your comments are welcome (as usual).
> Best,
> Wolfgang?

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeology Ltd
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES