[Gvsig_english] GvSIG 2.0 Java 1.6 support

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 19:01:42 CET 2009

Dear developers,

I am writing because I am a bit worried about Java 1.6 in gvSIG 2.0.
I understand that all development is based on Java 1.5 at the moment
and that it would be a major effort to switch the entire development
process to 1.6.

However, as far as I can see, the only part of gvSIG 12xx currently
not working with 1.6 is the labeling dialogs. I think it would be
a shame if this remained so in the final version and users could
make no use of the dramatically increased speed and Windows Vista
compatibility of Java 1.6. In addition, newer versions of Mac OS X
come with Java 1.6 "hard-wired" and a downgrade is not easy for Mac
users.

After all, gvSIG 1.1.2 works just fine with Java 1.6 and I think this
would be a serious regression for 2.0!

I would like to appeal to you to consider having some sort of Java 1.6
compatibility test before the release of version 2.0. I offer my full
support in testing for 1.6 compatibility and would try to help improving
it using the limited Java knowledge I have.

Best,

Ben

--
Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeology Ltd
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES