[Gvsig_english] computing X,Y coordinates

Sergio Clark sergio.clark at iver.es
Mon Feb 23 10:01:56 CET 2009

Hi Nik,

It's possible to get X and Y coordinates of a shape, if it is type
point. You can do this by using the Field Calculator in gvSIG. First,
'start editing' your shp, then open its table and add numeric fields for
X and Y values. With this field selected in the table click 'Field
calculator' and use functions 'x' and 'y' to get these values.

But if you mean getting the X,Y coordinates of a centroid (for a polygon
shape), you should write a jython script and then use the 'Advanced'
label of the Field Calculator in order to load and use it (I don't know
the exact code for this script now).

Hope it helps,
Regards

Sergio.