[Gvsig_english] computing X,Y coordinates

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 10:11:43 CET 2009

It should also be able to "misuse" an annotation layer for that purpose.
You should be able to create an annotation layer from your polygon file.
This will be a simple points file with a centroid for each polygon where
the annotation is supposed to go. Simply load that new layer back into
your project as a regular Shapefile, then use the field calculator
to get the X/Y coordinates.

Ben

Sergio Clark wrote:
> Hi Nik,
>
> It's possible to get X and Y coordinates of a shape, if it is type
> point. You can do this by using the Field Calculator in gvSIG. First,
> 'start editing' your shp, then open its table and add numeric fields for
> X and Y values. With this field selected in the table click 'Field
> calculator' and use functions 'x' and 'y' to get these values.
>
> But if you mean getting the X,Y coordinates of a centroid (for a polygon
> shape), you should write a jython script and then use the 'Advanced'
> label of the Field Calculator in order to load and use it (I don't know
> the exact code for this script now).
>

> Hope it helps,
> Regards
>
> Sergio.
>

> Nik Go escribió:
>> Hi everyone.
>>
>> I'm trying to find out if I can retrieve the X,Y coordinates of my
>> shape features (perhaps, it's center?)  Arcview can do something like
>> this: HowTo:  Calculate Latitude and Longitude values using the Field
>> Calculator
>> <http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=31863>.
>>

>> Is it possible to do something similar in gvSIG? I've been trying to
>> twist my head on this problem for a few days now.
>>
>> I'm running gvSIG 1.1 and 1.9a on Ubuntu 8.10.

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeology Ltd
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES