[Gvsig_english] Version 2.0 final features vote?

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at gmx.net
Mon Jan 12 14:52:17 CET 2009

Dear Benjamin, list
this is a good idea (just to see what is really needed from the users' point
of view). Thank you very much for your initiative!
> GvSIG is currently developing at breath-taking pace and great new
> features are being introduced all the time. While new features are
> always exciting, this makes it a bit difficult for me to understand
> what exactly version 2.0 will look like and to focus on finding and
> reporting bugs for improving its quality. If you feel the same about
> it: how about we have a vote on which new features should most
> importantly get into 2.0?
I agree: Testing different builds of 1.9 unstable was very exciting (as new
features were added with nearly every build), but also quite confusing, as I
still do not know, what will follow and what is planned.
What I miss a little bit, is some documentation about the developers' /
gvSIG-Team's target for 2.0 (list of features - or is it identical with the
list of features for 1.9?). It would be really great to see this.
What I also really would like to have: some information on the current status
of development of gvSIG 2.0: is it possible to give an estimation, when 2.0
(not 1.9) will be released?
If an estimation currently is not possible: would it help the developers to
have such a "ranking list"? I am not so sure about it, but I really would
like to hear their opinion.
> We could make a list and the developers could dedicate their
> resources to the top 3 or 5 items (or however much they think
> is realistic). This would allow us to make sure gvSIG 2.0 contains
> the things users want most. All other features could then be planned
> for 2.1 or whatever later version.
> And development could soon be
> focused on finding and eliminating bugs and improving user interface
> and documentation.
I think that quite some users are highly motivated to support the release of
2.0 via testing and sending bug reports. And I am convinced that motivation
could be even higher, if some more information about the above mentioned
issues would be provided.

Best regards,
Wolfgang