[Gvsig_english] Some feedback on the TIN tool in 1224

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 15:14:10 CET 2009

Dear developers,

I would like to give some feedback on the new TIN tool in build 1224.
In this build, I finally managed to get a TIN constructed using that
tool. Since this is a very new development, I will just post a few
thoughts informally to this list:

1. User interface: please make this a geoprocessing tool and put it in
    the geoprocesses toolbox, maybe under a new branch "interpolation".
    It does not seem to make much sense to have a menu item with just
    one function in the main menu bar. Also, if this is done, then all
    options can be put into one, convenient dialog, like the other
    geoprocesses. Btw. one of the processes in there already uses the
    word "TIN". That's not a good idea. It should really be named
    "Voronoi and Delaunay triangulation"
2. For contour line specification, there should certainly be a way
    to also input start, step and end values, not only levels.
3. Optionally output a 3D Shapefile. The result could then go straight
    into the new 3D extension.
4. Ask user whether he/she prefers triangles as line or polygon objects.
5. Store some additional, useful attributes in the attribute table:
    - height of triangle center
    - for TINs composed of polygons (see 3): area of polygon
6. A really useful TIN tool needs to allow fault lines in the model

Just my thoughts,

thanks for the great work,

Ben

--
Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeology Ltd
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES