[Gvsig_english] gvSIG's videos tutorials: some questions

Agustin Diez Castillo adiez at uv.es
Mon Mar 23 12:17:05 CET 2009

Hi Silvio and others,
There is a webpage pointing to most of the videos.
http://www.uv.es/adiez/gvsig.html
This is in Spanish but I will put an english version soon.
On Mar 22, 2009, at 11:18 AM, silvio grosso wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have just discovered some cool videos in Spanish createad by
> Augustin Angel Diez Castillo (University of Valencia; Spain).
> The link is: http://mmedia.uv.es/index?way=visited&f=tc.category_id&w=212
You can also try
http://mmedia.uv.es/index?way=visited&f=creator&w=adiez
> Actually, I had already watched many of them on you-tube. The link
> is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA-HEKqQg9I.
> Nevertheless, these "last" gvSIG's videos present in the "Multimedia
> Server of Aula Virtual" of the University of Valencia are really
> better.
> Their quality is much greater than those in you-tube.
> Compared to you-tube, for instance, you can read all menus :-)
>
> I have only 3 little "shortcomings" to point out: they are really
> trivial so bear with me :-)
> Besides, I am sure they are probably related to my problems with
> Spanish :-)
The last videos have no sound so I level the ground for Spanish and
not Spanish speakers.

> 1. When you choose the category "Archeology" you discover there are
> 31 resources.
> The first page in the Archeology section contains gvSIG's videos.
> When you click next at the bottom of the page to take a look at the
> following gvSIG's videos I can't understand why the new videos in
> the next page are not related with gvSIG or Archeology?
This is a known problem of our university media server that I deeply
regret but can't solve.
http://gvsigmac.blogspot.com (some entries in English).

> 2. The second little problem regards some recent videos. I can't
> find a way to watch them.
> For example therea are some recent videos at the link: http://mmedia.uv.es/index?f=_all&w=gvsig
> The video "9_gvsig_gps_mac.flv" doesn't start. It hangs forever on
> my browser.
They decided to change from flv to mp4 but my mp4 videos are not good
enough. Keep checking I will upload working versions.
> The video "8 calculadora_de_campos.mov" has the same problem. I
> tried to download or to start it to no avail.
> I tried both Firefox 3.0.7 and Interent Explorer 7 both installed on
> my PC with windows xp (sp2).
>
> 3. Just out of curiosity, I didn't understand why not all videos
> have the option to download them (by clicking on the button download).
Neither do I, that depends on the format I upload them to the media
server, in they are mov you can download them else you can not. :-(
> For example,  for the "8 calculadora de campos" this option is
> available.
See above, I keel trying to upload this one, check the most recents.
Just in case, I uploaded one version to youtube.
http://mmedia.uv.es/index?way=recently
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTupulTy3QM
> For other videos this option is not allowed (e.g. 9. gvSIG gps mac).
> I know there are plenty of "tricks" to solve the problem and get
> them on your computer but I would prefer to have the option to
> download all of them :-)
>
> To sum up, all in all, I found really interesting these "new"
> resources.
> As a result, I would like to express my BIG thanks to Augustin for
> all his videos :-)
> Keep them coming :-)

It will be nice to have them in a gvSIG repository to avoid the above
problems.
> Best regards,
>
> Silvio

Thanks for reporting I was thinking that those problems were mac
specific, are you in what?