[Gvsig_english] GvSIG 1251

César Martínez Izquierdo cesar.izq at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 10:48:48 CET 2009

Hello list,

I agree with Wolfrang that an open bug-tracker adds transparency to
the project, and brings it closer to user.
Almost every open source project has an open bug-tracker, hence open
source users are used to them.

Maybe there are two kind of contributors (advanced and regular ones),
but the fact that there is an open bug-tracker does not force regular
users to use it... I think having it open gives user the possibility
to decide if they want to be advanced or regular ones.

Moreover, I think an open bug-tracker has some extra benefits. I'm
user of many open source projects, and I often check their
bug-trackers when I have a problem... in this way I can know if this
is a known problem, if there is a solution on the way or it's a
long-standing bug, normally users add some possible workarounds to
circumvent the bug in the while... all this information is very
helpful for users.

Of course, I understand that this may add some overload to gvSIG
testing team, as this implies some triage, classification, bug
rephrasing, field normalization, etc.

But despite these possible cons-, I think there are many pro-s that
make this movement really worthy.

Well, just my opinion.

Best Regards,

César

PD: Congratulations for the great work on gvSIG 1.9 stabilization.

2009/11/4 Wolfgang Qual <wolfgang.qual at gmx.net>:
> Dear Manuel, dear list.
> first of all: many thanks to you for this detailled reply. I think that
> this a very interesting topic and a very important, too.
> What I would like to point out was the visibility and transparency of
> the bug tracker, but while writing this, many other things come to my
> mind which could be more visible. Easier to see..
> Sometimes, it could be enough to create that "bug" button and provide
> some information on questions like:
> * how to use the bug tracker
> * how to become a bug tracker
> Only some documentation. If you look at qgis.org, you will see that
> exactly this is done.
>
> I like this very much. Using the international mailing list is ok. But
> you never know whether the issue that you wrote to the list, is already
> reported as a bug. For me as a gvsig-user, it would be also very
> interesting to know: what should I test again? What is definitively
> working (and thus has not to be tested again...). It would save time!
>
> Well, the bug tracking is just an example, this directly brings me to a
> more general topic... In these days of reconstruction and development,
> most of the ressources might be captured with other things. But it's
> worth to discuss about this. Currently, there is gvsig.gva.es and
> www.gvsig.org. This is a little bit confusing, but you seem to have your
> reasons for this construction. However, www.gvsig.org is a little bit
> too sober and sometimes I have to search for things a little bit too
> long. A nice layout which would provide the most important links and
> some additional information (like "story of the month" would be great.
> Mwah. This is what comes to my mind at the moment.. www.gvsig.org is
> great, no question. But there are still things that can be
> improved... :)
>
> Best,
> Wolfgang
>

> Am Mittwoch, den 04.11.2009, 14:14 +0100 schrieb Manuel Madrid:
>> Dear Wolfgang.
>>
>> Let me explain the situation.
>>
>> Well, we could distinguish between two kind of contributors: general and
>> advanced. We think bugtracker is appropriate only for advanced ones,
>> since is not too easy to fill in a ticket. You must know and follow some
>> instructions in order to get a valid report. Obviously most of the users
>> wouldn't report an error if this is the only way and that's why the
>> "official" way to report errors is the email list (the easiest way).
>> Nevertheless, if somebody is interested in reporting errors directly in
>> the bugtracker, we'll be very glad to create an account and give him/her
>> the instructions to fill in tickets. He/she only has to ask us for it.
>> Anyway, you're right. This is not visible in the web now.
>>
>> Our aim is that everyone can access bugtracker data (queries like fixed
>> bugs, current bugs, etc.) but only advanced contributors can fill in
>> tickets.

> [...]

   César Martínez Izquierdo
   GIS developer
   ETC-LUSI: http://etc-lusi.eionet.europa.eu/
   Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (SPAIN)