[Gvsig_english] gvSIG international program: question about Tcharting tool presentation

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Thu Nov 12 15:38:44 CET 2009

Hi Ben,

Benjamin Ducke wrote:
> Ideally, a future version of gvSIG should produce
> standard SVG. Inkscape is now up to par with Illustrator.

I totally agree.
Your suggestion about the svg format is and old, deary, one :-)
I even remember your proposal to sponsor this feature (through OA digital) .
A gvSIG's Spanish developer explained us it could take 3 or 4 weeks to develop this option in gvSIG.

Lately, Inkscape has really progressed.
This year, for instance, thanks to a Google Summer of code project, Felipe Sanchez worked on better support for color management (http://www.inkscape.org/archive.php?lang=it&year=2009&month=09).
This could be really handy in the future for printing maps with "true" colours.

At present, with Qgis you can export a map as svg.
Unfortunately, due to many bugs and missing features in the Qt Api, this option is not really viable (see this thread on the Qgis developer list: http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2009-October/007911.html).

Scribus has still many problems regarding the option to import svg files (http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=4732)

Yesterday, I have discovered a new option in the upcoming version of Kosmo Gis (even though I have never used this software).
In short,  the possibility to edit  the output of its Map into OpenOffice Draw (see: http://lists.saig.es/pipermail/kosmo_int/2009-November/000557.html).
From Draw you can save this Map to svg and work with Inkscape.
Maybe gvSIG's developers could take some of this code...
In short "reuse" it. As Kosmo's developers do with gvSIG's code :-)

Regarding the Ai format, I think it is really a great addition for gvSIG.
The only "problem" is that you need to have Adobe Illustrator on your computer :-)

Long live gvSIG :-)

Best regards,

Silvio