[Gvsig_english] Configuration for desktop during creation, of shapefiles

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Thu Nov 19 23:59:38 CET 2009

Sergio,

(please note that I eventually solved the problem as I was preparing
this reply but thought others may find the information collated useful)

I have tinkered with the alpha value for the
'Preferences/Editing/Selection Color' but still get the problem.

I will explain what I am doing so you can reproduce...

1. I open an ECW file in the correct project - in this case EPSG:28355.
2. View/New Layer/New SHP then choose to create a polygon, add a field
(use default) then save to local directory... The screen shutters and
the image is redrawn when the command box appears.
3. I choose the toolbar button for 'Autocomplete polygon' and draw an
irregular polygon. With the alpha property set as you suggested (and how
I actually had it set) I can see the underlying imagery. This is expected.
4. Now I want to change the position of one of the borders because, say,
I was sloppy at the outset and missed a fenceline...

- note, the following I discovered through trial and error as I could
not find anything in the manual or online documentation about moving a
vertex.

5. So, I click on the 'Selection' button on the toolbar click on the
vertex I want to move -- the polygon is still transparent and nothing
appears to happen.
6. You click again on the vertex you want to edit and the polygon goes
grey and the vertex is 'stuck' to the mouse and  you are able to see
where you are moving the boundary in real time. At this point the
polygon is grey and opaque so the only way to see the underlying imagery
and the feature you wish to align the border to is pull it back to
expose the feature then place the vertex accordingly. The problem is
that when you have a complex series of joined polygons with a common
vertex you can not see any of the underlying features.
7. Once vertex is moved to the correct position, the mouse is clicked.
The polygon is now yellow and opaque, obscuring the underlying imagery.
Assuming you adjusted the alpha of the layer through the symbol
selector, the only way to see through the polygon is select something else.

OK I have played around with 'Preferences/Editing' settings and managed
to get the 'grey polygon' to be transparent (step 6) but can't stop the
polygon from becoming opaque yellow when selected. I have changed the
Alpha value of 'Default Selection Color' in the Preferences/View dialog
box but nothing happened regardless of whether I am editing the
shapefile or not.

The solution to this problem is that in order to get the 'Default
Selection Color' to change you need to restart gvSIG. Once this was done
and I repeated the above steps and all worked as expected.

Thanks Sergio for your help.

Simon

*** YOUR REPLY ****