[Gvsig_english] gvSIG is a viable robust alternative to commercially available GIS packages

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Thu Nov 26 11:46:25 CET 2009

Hello
everybody,

THANKS a
lot for this REALLY interesting discussion.

I know it
is always quite "odious" and rude to compare similar softwares.
In doing so, you are supposed to
imply that one software is better than another.
Especially for developers,  it could be  a bit
frustrating because you make yourself the "judge" of their work…Without giving anything in return
This is particularly true with Open-source
softwares where most developers work for free in their spare time.

gvSIG 1.9 is really really nice.
I like it really much :-)
In addition, I have read the abstracts concerning next  gvSIG's Conference (http://jornadas.gvsig.org/Documentos/5th_gvSIG_Conference_Abstracts.pdf).
There are plenty of new features planned for next versions :-)

All this being explained, I would like to add something more to this discussion.
In short, I would like to make a compairon between gvSIG and Qgis (http://qgis.org/).
Please, don't flame me :-(
I use both gvSIG and Qgis and I love them equally, even though, in the end, I prefer to use gvSIG :-)

In my modest opinion, at present, Qgis has some little advantages over gvSIG.
To sum up they are:
1. Qgis is much MORE configurable than gvSIG.
You can create, modify, delete your shortcuts.
Even the tool-bars are dockable everywhere in the Gui (e.g. on the left or right).
This being said Mario Carrera, a Spanish developer, explained us in this mailing  list that this situation is going to change for the best (see http://listserv.gva.es/pipermail/gvsig_internacional/2009-September/003808.html).
2. You can use many Grass' modules.
This advantage is going to be partially deleted by Sextante and the work of Benjamin Ducke (see his post http://listserv.gva.es/pipermail/gvsig_internacional/2009-October/003849.html).
3. You can use Spatialite (see its web-page or this link concerning the features of the upcoming 2.4 version: http://www.gaia-gis.it/spatialite-2.4.0/road_map.html)
One idea was to  try  to "sponsor" a Google summer of code project for next Summer.
4. You can use R.
This being said, at present, there is a project which aims to integrate R with Sextante (see: http://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/spsextante/).
5. You can create charts (diagrams and pie).
Even this advantage could be deleted by the Carthema project named Tcharting tool (see http://listserv.gva.es/pipermail/gvsig_internacional/2009-November/004012.html).
6. You can use Python which, I am told, is easy for beginners to create GIS extensions.
With gvSIG there is Jpython but it seems to me it is not too "succesful" at present.
For Qgis, nowdays, there are plenty of Python plug-ins already developed by third-parts.
7. Qgis documtation is in English. This is a boon for strangers.
To change subject, ArcGis is also great because of its documentation.
Even a noob as myself can learn quick how to work on it :-)
In my opinion, sorry to say so, the previous gvSIG's English manual (1.1.2 version) was not as good as the original manual in the Spanish version.
8. Qgis is portable.
You don't need to have any administrator privilege to install it on your computer.
This being stated, a gvSIG's super, power-user, explained us how to remedy (see http://listserv.gva.es/pipermail/gvsig_internacional/2009-August/003639.html).
9. You can export Qgis's map as png and svg.
This being explained, the export as svg is not really "perfect" in Qgis (see this thread: http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2009-October/007911.html).
At present, with gvSIG you can create a screenshot of your map and save it into Gimp.
This gives you an image of 75 dpi which is not great...
Another solution is to save the Map as pdf.
Once you have your pdf you can save it as jpg.
For instance, on Windows,  with the really nice freeware named Pdf x-change viewer (you find it at http://www.docu-track.com/downloads/users/). On Linux you can use Wine to run it.
Pdf x-change viewer has even a portable version.
In my opinion, Pdf x-change viewer, is much better than the Acrobat reader version which is installed often in brand-new computers in Italy.
10. Qgis runs better on Mac than gvSIG.
I am not a Mac's user but I have often read some complaints about the gvSIG's version running on Mac.
Needless to say, I have read the Mac version is not completely sponsored by gvSIG's Spanish developers.

Best regards,

P.s: I am really looking forward to watch next videos of gvSIG's Conference in Valencia.

Silvio