[Gvsig_english] gvSIG is a viable robust alternative to commercially available GIS packages

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at prodevelop.es
Thu Nov 26 15:03:21 CET 2009

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) escribió:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Regarding scripting -- I have done a lot of programming over the years
> but have found limited resources available for the various tools shoved
> in JAVA Applications like BeanTools, JPython and even the command
> console in gvSIG. What is needed are clear tutorials that show you have
> to access data stored in files, conduct tasks (rotate, reproject, move,
> cut paste, etc), save data and bundle this into a program. These
> scripts, which are essentially elaborate macros, can be made available
> for others to complete set tasks. Combined with a GUI interface for
> dialogs, combos, text fields, etc people such as myself would be able to
> contribute new functionality. One thing I have noticed in this GIS
> Community is that their are alot of extensions around but very few
> scripts or smaller programs. For example I convert from AGD66 to GDA94
> (geo to MGA/AMG) regularly... I would really like to be able to create a
> routine that  could do these reprojections with click of the button.

You point a problem that is one of the reasons of the main refactor of
de data access layer (DAL) for 2.0: I mean, the diversity of drivers
and non-homogeneous way to deal with data.

With DAL as a main API to access data, scripting and development in
general will be easier, and this way, common tasks like
opening,reading,closing data stores will be quite straight forward.

Like you, and many others, I've always dreamed with a well populated
library of scripts for small tasks, and I think we are approaching
this situation.

> In regarding to putting my musings on OSGeo -- I have been asked to do
> just this and have already spoken with Tyler Mitchell. So if anyone can
> help finalizing the table below I would be appreciative. Some functions
> I have not been able to find how or if it can be done. So if you can
> turn a "?" to a Yes/No or believe a Yes or No is allocated incorrectly
> let me know. I will republish the list tomorrow with peoples comments.

I think the best way to deal with that would probably be placing the
table on the osgeo wiki and when it reaches a "stable" situation,
format it with the rest of your thoughts into a nice article. Sounds
sensible?

Regards

- --
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas