[Gvsig_english] gvsig and geoland

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Wed Oct 21 18:15:45 CEST 2009

Hello, Hartmuth:

I think the problem is that gvSIG is appending a parameter to the URL you have provided and the server does not accept it.

If you are desperate, there is a trick to use that WMS server in gvSIG. You have to do exactly this (it works with gvSIG 1.9 on Windows XP):

- If gvSIG is running, close it.

- Start gvSIG

- Create a new view and set the coordinate system to EPSG:4326 or EPSG:31287

- Go to the WMS tab and paste this URL:

http://www.geoland.at/geolandWMS/service.aspx?Name=geoland_at_wms&Service=WMS&Version=1.1.1&Request=GetCapabilities

(important: the option "Refresh cache" must be active)

- Click on "Connect" and you will see the message "Fehler". Then click on "Cancel"

- Now minimize gvSIG and open a web browser and paste this URL (the same) in the web browser:

http://www.geoland.at/geolandWMS/service.aspx?Name=geoland_at_wms&Service=WMS&Version=1.1.1&Request=GetCapabilities

- Now in your web browser go to "Save as..." and navigate to the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<your_user>\Local settings\Temp\tmp-andami

In that folder there must be only one file (this is why we had to restart gvSIG, otherwise there would be many files). Overwrite that file with the XML you have downloaded from your web browser (keep the file name). That file contained an error message, and we are replacing it with the server's true capabilities.

- Now go back to gvSIG, go to the WMS tab and write again the URL of the WMS server and, VERY IMPORTANT, uncheck the "Refresh cache" option. Now click on "Connect" and you should see correctly the WMS abstract, and the "Next" button should be available to choose layers etc.

See screenshot here:

http://www.prodevelop.es/files/fm/public/downloads/images/austria.jpg

Regards,

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio