[Gvsig_english] Importing Data in DMS form to gvSIG

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Fri Oct 30 22:59:24 CET 2009

Hello,
You can use the Excel functions to parse the coordinate string. For example:

45º35'12'' W

You can use the function FIND to find the degrees symbol (º), minutes symbol (') and seconds symbol (''). Then you can use the EXTRACT function (or similar) to split the string, then the VALUE function (or similar) to convert those strings into numbers, then simply divide the minutes by 60 and the seconds by 3600 and sum them up. You can use the FIND symbol again to decide the hemisphere (if it contains a 'W' it's the western hemisphere, so the longitude must be negative, etc).

I have attached an example in an Excel file (coord_parser.xls) to do this (also screenshot coord_parser.jpg). You ONLY have to change the yellow cells, the rest is automatic. The IND_* columns find the relevant symbols. The string is split in columns DEG, MIN, SEC. The result is in the DECIMAL DEGREES column, which uses the HEMISPEHERE column to find out the sign of the result.

If you want to convert thousands of values, you only have to copy the formulas vertically and paste your values in the input column. I hope the Excel format is multi-language, because I used the function names in Spanish.

Is that what you were looking for?

Regards,

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio
---