[Gvsig_english] novice question: adding xx°xx'xx" (degree, minute, seconds) from dbf file to accurate projection

Da Kn davkprivat at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 15 17:22:46 CEST 2009

hi thank you for the answer,

yes i'm trying to add a  layer with the add x/y-file function. there is no
problem about this if I add it in geographic decimal (xx.xxxx) and choose
projection EPSG:4326, but i'm wondering if you can add this layer when the
coordinartes are in xx°xx'xx'' form and not in decimal form. Now I
transformed my xx°xx'xx'' data via
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/calculators#coordinates to decimal form. but if
I will have more data in xx°xx'xx'' coordinates in future, will it be
possible to import them directly into gvSIG (via the add x/y file (dbf)
function) ? the problem is, that gvSIG doesn't read that xx°xx'xx'' form and
puts all points to 0°0'0'' in the active window. so i'm wondering if this
results out of a wrong projection I chose for the project.

thanks again,

davk