[Gvsig_english] gvSIG 1.9 (1246)::monday's feeling: save as shapefile will mix-up attribute table

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at muenchen.de
Fri Sep 25 11:01:57 CEST 2009

Hi list,
as reported before, I had some strange results when deleting fields in
the field manager: the attribute table was "mixed up", field limitations
seemed to be
forgotten by gvsig. Today, I made a new map using the lates build of
gvSIG 1.9. When exporting a new event theme to shape-format, I
discovered that
the problem described here [1] occured again. I was able to create the
event theme and export it to shapefile in gvSIG 1.1.2. Hopefully, this
behaviour will be corrected in 1.9 soon.

What I did:
1 Exported an excel file to dbf which contains some coordinates and some
columns describing those points
2 opened that table in gvSIG
3 created an event theme out of it (table looks nice)
4 export to... shapefile. Got the new shapefile with the strange
attribute table.
5 reopened the initial dbf, replaced all empty cells (all text-columns)
with " - " (as I thought that empty cells might cause the prblem)
6 repeated 3,4 got the same result
7 opened the dbf in gvSIG 1.1.2
8 repeated 3,4, result correct. - sigh -

Besides, I also have the impression that great improvements have been
made since 1243. Thank you very much for your efforts. I would be happy,
if you could send a comment on this issue.
Best,
Wolfgang

[1]
http://listserv.gva.es/pipermail/gvsig_internacional/2009-August/003656.html