[Gvsig_english] [GSoC] Mentoring a gvSIG GSoC idea

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Sun Apr 11 20:46:51 CEST 2010

Thanks for all the pointers, people. It seems that at this
stage, Java support for SQlite3/SpatiaLite is growing in
many projects. There is another option that I find very
attractive. As of version 1.7, GDAL/OGR has newly
maintained Java bindings:

http://gdal.org/java/

If these turn out to be working (have not tested them
yet) I would actually think they are the best option
for geometry handling, because:

1) They support multiple ways of geometry storage in
an SQLite3 DBMS, not only the SpatiaLite format
(see here: http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_sqlite.html)

2) OGR has layer write support.

2) Once we have an implementation for SQlite3, we
can easily recycle the same classes to add more
OGR-supported data sources, such as MapInfo, etc.

For plain SQlite3 tables (no geometries), I would use
one of the two suggested JDBC drivers.

Cheers,

Ben