[Gvsig_english] SUGGESTED FUNCTIONALITY gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- (repeat) need for default directory, project directory and temp directory

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Mon Apr 12 08:23:25 CEST 2010

Hi,

I know I have posted this before but I and currently doing some basic
work and have resulted in multiple copies files ending up everywhere and
thought I would stress the point.

As an example, I am attempting to create a polygon file from a CAD
drawing showing mutually exclusive development zones. Basic vector data
has been polygonised, cleaned, exported, split and remerged. I also used
buffers to obtain exact distances from boundaries and used Sextante many
times in the process.

So... CAD --> intermediate files --> Polygon layer showing various
mutually exclusive development zones.

This resulted in...

Actual project map directory where I attempted to push output but gave
up due to continuous drilling down of the directory tree in dialog boxes
and plug-ins, even when you choose the 'source' and 'destination' in the
same dialog box ==> 14 shapefiles, 1 DXF file (original DWG)

My 'Home' Directory (default location for some routines) ==> 11
shapefiles

A temporary TEMP directory I created in my Home Directory because I was
sick of the clutter ==> 4 shapefiles

The default gvSIG/bin Directory (default location for some other
routines) ==> 7 files

Now this is just one aspect of my analysis yet it created 36+ files in
multiple directories and requires time to clean up.

gvSIG absolutely needs a PROJECT DIRECTORY and a TEMP DIRECTORY that all
routines and plug-ins use as a default. At least in the short term,
considering this would take time to implement, icons should be placed on
the directory tree dialog that allows you to move to these directories
quickly.
--

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper