[Gvsig_english] SUGGESTED FUNCTIONALITY gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- (repeat) need for default directory, project directory and temp directory

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 10:04:35 CEST 2010

Hi Simon,

have you noticed the settings under "File->Preferences->
General->Default directories"? The "Spatial data directory"
defines the default path for layer files. It should be
respected by most file selectors in gvSIG.

A good thing to be considered in a future version of gvSIG
may be to provide an option to use the system's native
file selectors instead of Java's Swing ones.
The necessary modifications would be really simple and are
described here:

http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2004/01/29/swing.html

All modern desktops now have file selectors that allow
you to set system-wide "bookmarks" for folders, so that
would solve the problem on a higher level.

Of course, there is another option to avoid the problems
with file-based data management altogether: use a spatial
database such as PostGIS. If we get the SpatiaLite GSoc
project this summer, than that will give you a perfectly
simple option to store spatial data neatly in one location.

Cheers,

Ben