[Gvsig_english] gvSIG 2.0 Relative Paths

Chris Puttick chris.puttick at thehumanjourney.net
Fri Aug 20 13:08:57 CEST 2010

Absolute paths are not a working solution for GIS (or other applications) in a modern organisation; distributed teams, different locations, different operating systems, home working, etc., all *require* the use of relative paths. Come to think of it only organisations where people work in a single building, have homogeneous computing environments, don't collaborate and don't allow home working could use absolute paths.

None of that sounds like a modern organisation, and the latter issue is a legal right in the EU. Although I suppose you could try to deny the home working request because the software being used only works with absolute paths...