[Gvsig_english] measuring (scaling) of distances e.g.

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Wed Dec 15 07:10:41 CET 2010

On Wednesday 15 December 2010 4:50:39 pm Klaus Schaefer EH TZA wrote:
> can someone explain me how measurement (scaling) of distances, areas e.g.
> works? I've tried it a lot of times and I've read several instructions,
> documents and help files, but actually never succeeded - at least not in
> the scale I wanted. A step by step approach appreciated...
>
> My scenario is a waterscheme. I'd like to measure pipe line lengths. I've
> set every property in the project and settings to "meter", "meter" also
> appears in the bottom status bar of gvSIG. But when I do measurements the
> results always show up like 0.01 for 1km. What steps do I need to do to
> get more precise "meter" results?
>
> I'm working with gvSIG version 1.10.

Hi again Klaus,

The simplest way is not measure them your self but get their length inserted
in the vector file. If you are using a shapefile, select the 'Add geometric
info' under the 'Layer' menu in the main menu. This will allow you to insert
length of a line in the file. If you don't have a shapefile and this method
baulks you can convert to a shapefile by exporting the layer.

You can also measure manually using the ruler but you need to ensure your map
units and measuring units are set to meters in the 'View' section of the
'preferences' dialog. Remember to restart gvSIG if you change these values,
sometimes changes don't have an effect immediately.
--
Cheers Simon

	Simon Cropper
	Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd