[Gvsig_english] View Frame Properties of Map Buggy

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Tue Jan 5 01:58:32 CET 2010

Hi,

Sorry for the constant stream of issues but I am finding the more I use
the map facility the more buggy it seems.

After creation of a map template I find navigating within the map to
orient the underlying view quite frustrating.

BUGS

Compared to other projects where a single view is established and just
layers turned on and off in the reference view, this project requires to
move to multiple areas at different scales and positions. I presumed I
could set up a template and pan to a particular location and print the map.

If I zoom to the open layers it does this as expected but once I am in
around the 1:2000 to 1:10000 range all sorts of odd behaviour appears.
One quite irritating behaviour is when a view gets stuck -- not quite at
the right scale or location you use the zoom in, zoom out and map tools
to try and change the location and the underlying layer just returns to
the same location everytime. For example, to pan you drag the image away
from the current location, release the mouse and the image immediately
returns to the previous location. Using zoom out to see an entire site I
select the reserve with the zoom in tool and you get a particular
position, if you pan to make minor adjustments you have the above
problem occur. If you zoom out then try again you get the same view
configuration.

I have experimented with various scale options "keep constant",
"maintain view scale" and "adjust automatically" and the behaviour
occurs in all options. I usually find that I get the best position quite
by accident after 5-10 minutes of adjusting.

Can people indicate how they would set up a project which have multiple
reserves in one dataset and the need to produce multiple maps (various
layers on/off) for each reserve? Create a single map for each reserve or
section of reserve (my current thinking)?

SUGGESTIONS

I also had the thought that it would be good to have in the "Scale"
section of the map options dialog the ability to zoom to a region of
interest.

The other valuable option, which seems plausible considering you have a
dynamic view in a map, is to have various layers turned on and off. This
would allow you to set up one map for historic vegetation or current
vegetation or whatever (point map to one view and within the map options
select various layers) and use the scale option to move the underlying
view to particular areas -- this saves on creating multiple maps of what
are essentially the same thing.

--

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper