[Gvsig_english] View Frame Properties of Map Buggy

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at prodevelop.es
Tue Jan 5 09:49:16 CET 2010

On 05/01/10 01:58, Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the constant stream of issues but I am finding the more I use
> the map facility the more buggy it seems.
>
> After creation of a map template I find navigating within the map to
> orient the underlying view quite frustrating.
>
> BUGS
>
> Compared to other projects where a single view is established and just
> layers turned on and off in the reference view, this project requires to
> move to multiple areas at different scales and positions. I presumed I
> could set up a template and pan to a particular location and print the map.
>
> If I zoom to the open layers it does this as expected but once I am in
> around the 1:2000 to 1:10000 range all sorts of odd behaviour appears.
> One quite irritating behaviour is when a view gets stuck -- not quite at
> the right scale or location you use the zoom in, zoom out and map tools
> to try and change the location and the underlying layer just returns to
> the same location everytime. For example, to pan you drag the image away
> from the current location, release the mouse and the image immediately
> returns to the previous location. Using zoom out to see an entire site I
> select the reserve with the zoom in tool and you get a particular
> position, if you pan to make minor adjustments you have the above
> problem occur. If you zoom out then try again you get the same view
> configuration.
>
> I have experimented with various scale options "keep constant",
> "maintain view scale" and "adjust automatically" and the behaviour
> occurs in all options. I usually find that I get the best position quite
> by accident after 5-10 minutes of adjusting.
>
> Can people indicate how they would set up a project which have multiple
> reserves in one dataset and the need to produce multiple maps (various
> layers on/off) for each reserve? Create a single map for each reserve or
> section of reserve (my current thinking)?

The first thing I thought after reading that was to use the "active
link" check to "disconnect" the current view position on the map from
its source.

I've tested on 1.9 (BN 1253) and something is broken and this tools
doesn't seem to work properly :(

Aside note:

After playing around this question, I've thought a good and easy to
implement enhancement would be to add the spatial bookmarks (the zoom
manager from a view) on the view properties as a way to specify a view
location to a map.

That is to say, if I have several zooms saved on a view, I would want
to use them on the view properties on the map to create different ones
of several locations as you are trying.

Cheers
- --
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas