[Gvsig_english] View Frame Properties of Map Buggy

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Wed Jan 6 02:28:03 CET 2010

Hi Enrique Lorenzo,

Thank you very much for the feedback. Your workaround was successful in
avoiding the problems previously encountered.

A couple of points though...

1. I found that I could open already prepared MAPS and just change the
settings in the way outlined below to get the program to work properly
(that is I did not have to start afresh).
2. I found it was not necessary to uncheck the LIVE LINK. This is
desirable as I wanted changes to the reference VIEW to reflect in the
various MAPS.
3. All I needed to do to get the VIEW FRAME to behave in the MAP was to
      (a) select the VIEW,
      (b) select "keep constant" in the scale drop down list,
      (c) leave the edit box requesting the scale value as is or specify
a scale,
      (d) select "maintain view scale" in the scale drop down box, and then
      (e) select accept.
Once this was done I was able to pan, zoom in and zoom out. I also tried
to separate the grid from the view by zooming in and was unable. In all
I adjusted my 13 maps in about 1 hour. Not bad.

SO ALL THE LATEST ISSUES RELATED TO MAP PRODUCTION HAVE DISAPPEARED** --
Enrique Lorenzo you are genius, how in the world did you discover this
quirk?

[** inserting an image on a map still triggers an error as described in

So the upshot is...
1. I have one reference VIEW, which I can change the legend values to
generate site maps, historic vegetation maps and current vegetation
maps. The effects are reflected in the appropriate maps.
2. In the absence of having a way to consistently zoom to the same spot
(e.g. with regions of interest or spatial bookmarks as recommended by
Jorge Gasper) I have created a MAP for each reserve or section of
reserve. All MAPS point to the same VIEW. The MAPS retain the same
extent as setup using the pan/zoom tools irregardless of what the extent
of the reference VIEW is. This is expected behaviour.

FURTHER SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVED FUNCTIONALITY IN  MAP VIEW PROPERTIES
DIALOG

1. LIVE LINK should be renamed to REFLECT CHANGES TO REFERENCE VIEW'S
LEGEND; or alternatively...

2. It would be useful and clearer if a set of three controls were
established. The reference view is the view that the map frame points to.

(a) REFLECT CHANGES TO REFERENCE VIEW'S EXTENT

checked = map's view frame moves with reference view. Move the reference
view the map moves. Move the map the reference view moves. Both have the
same extent (to void problems with different sized views and map frames;
this would best be described as same scale and centre point).

unchecked = the extent of the map's view remains the same.

(b) REFLECT CHANGES TO REFERENCE VIEW'S LAYERS

checked = the layers shown in the map's view frame are the same as the
view. Changes in what layers are visible in the view are reflected in
the maps view frame.

unchecked = the layers visible in the maps frame are fixed (not changes
to the layers symbology though; see 'c')

(c) REFLECT CHANGES TO LAYER'S LEGEND IN REFERENCE VIEW

checked = changes to a layer's symbology is reflected the the map (if
'b' above is 'checked' or if 'b' above is 'unchecked' the layer was
visible at the time the frame was fixed)

unchecked = all the legends of the layers visible in the map's view
frame are fixed. This means that if the symbology in the reference view
is changed for any particular layer it will not automatically be
reflected in the maps.

If (a), (b) and (c) are unchecked then the map is a static once-off map
that will never change.

(3) The property dialog for the map view frame should be fixed so that
you can enter it and all the currently set options are apparent and they
will only change if you make a change and press accept. As noted if you
have more than one view in the project and you enter the properties
dialog box, change the scale and don't remember to point to the actual
view you want the map's view will change.

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 160, Sunshine, Victoria 3020.