[Gvsig_english] R: TIP - Using ImagePrinter to print maps to JPEG format (Windows Only)

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Thu Jan 7 10:17:55 CET 2010

Hi Simon,

Simon wrote:
> As I said, hopefully gvSIG v2 will have this
> functionality (to export to image formats).

Well, I am really sure many gvSIG's users are waiting for this option ;-)

I know for sure that gvSIG's developers are aware of this feature request.
For example, in the past, Benjamin Ducke has proposed to add the option to save the gvSIG'S Map to the svg format.
This in order to modify later such a Map with Inkscape.

In the meantime, I am afraid, we have to complement gvSIG  with other softwares ;-)
As for me, I like Pdf xchange viewer because, on top of being freeware for commercial use, it offers lots of options.
As you wrote, there is not match with Acrobat reader :-)
For examples: drawing lines, squares, arrows, circles, etc.
You can write some text on your Pdf (underline, highlight and so on)
Copy and paste your text into Pdf xchange and many other options.
Export your Pdf as image.
To top it all, it works like a dream with Linux (I use it currently with Wine on Uuntu Karmic).

In conclusion, in case you don't know it, you could also try Lyx (http://www.lyx.org/).
In my opinion it is the by far the best software to work with LaTex.
It is open-source.
It runs on every platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac etc).
It allows you to create wonderful articles and books (much more elaborated than OpenOffice writer).
Its international mailing list is very, very supportive and its documentation is just fabulous :-)
There are scores of Pdf tutorials (e.g. www.cs.colostate.edu/~cs475/LabClass/latex/Tutorial.pdf).
There are load of video tutorials (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4cEAVmLegg&feature=related).
There are plenty of developers working on it.
The only "downside" is that it takes a bit to get accostumed to its workflow.
Nonetheless, in my opinion, in the end, it is really a good investment ;-)

Best regards and keep writing gvSIG's tutorials :-)

Silvio