[Gvsig_english] QUESTION gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- Hoes does gvSIG reference shapefiles in ToC

Sergio Clark sergio.clark at iver.es
Tue Jan 12 12:11:08 CET 2010

Hi Simon, Fran:

Francisco José Peñarrubia escribió:
> Hi Simon.
>
> Yes, I think so.
>
> If you have multiple shp files in TOC, each one will have its own driver
> reading from the .shp, .shx, .dbf files. If you edit one of them, the
> others will not be aware of changes, and the application will crash.
> So, you shouldn't edit your file, and about names, you can change
> manually the name of the layer. Maybe some errors will desappear then.
>
> BTW, I sow (among many others ;-) ) some mails about FrameViews in a
> Layout. (Some FrameViews referring to the same View in the same Layout).
> I did some tests and I agree there are many bizarre behaviours, but I
> wonder if you are using the tools
>

> to position your ViewFrame from the Layout window. They are activated
> when you select your ViewFrame.
>
> To summarize: If I remember to ALWAYS (it's a bug) select the right View
> in the combo from Properties and uncheck Active Link and select Mantain
> View Scale, it seems it works well. (Any other combination don't work
> well and we should revise it).

About maps...

Recently we've changed a little the behaviour of these options in order
to have more possibilities, but I'm not sure they've been misunderstood:

- 'Active link' is only related with symbology, not with scales or
extents. So if it is active, symbology changes in the View will be shown
also in the Map.

On the other hand:

- 'Automatic' scale: It links the scale and also the extent between View
and Map, in both senses.

- 'Scale specified by the user': The user introduces a scale denominator
and it will be fixed in the Map. But if we pan in the View, this will be
shown in the Map, always maintaining that scale denominator introduced
before.

- 'Maintain viewing scale': maintains the last scale. It can be the View
scale at the moment of creating the map, or other scale if the user has
changed it using before options as 'Automatic' or 'Specifying a scale by
user'.

I hope it'll be a little more clear now. I think ArcGIS works in a
different way. However, if you think we should change the behaviour of
any of the options, feel free to discuss here :).

Regards,
Sergio