[Gvsig_english] oracle spatial wrong interpretation ofrectangles (at least 3d)

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 12:21:54 CET 2010

I honestly think that the 3d rectangle (cuboid) structure in oracle is
erroneous. It is defined as (x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2), which lets the other
two vertices without a Z definition (and this lets the user decide
what assign them...), while it would have been consistent if it was
(x1,y1,y1,y2,z): this define completely a cuboid (with a fixed Z for
all the vertices).
So, I would avoid using them but they exist and may create problems
for viewers.

What to do? In a 2D canvas I would simply discard the Z, while in a 3D
env I would simply use the first one (subjective but argumentative).
This is just a workaround to not break the viewer, not a consistent
choice...

giovanni