[Gvsig_english] FEEDBACK gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- use of gvSIG in production environment

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Thu Jan 21 01:19:47 CET 2010

Silvio,

As stated I am preparing a range of smaller tutorial based around an
established workflow. The idea is if the tutorials represent distinct
tasks and are autonomous that they can be released immediately rather
than waiting until all have been prepared. Each tutorials is about 10-15
pages long and I estimate that I will prepare about 15. That is about
225 pages already and all I am covering are the basics. Once completed
however I would be able to consolidate the bits into a small book that
could be downloaded as one entity -- if the user wanted they could print
this off, although I would hope that most people would keep it as an
electronic reference book.

Something else that came to mind while I was writing this response was
the fact that gvSIG does not have any help. Maybe the best option would
be to create a modular help system similar to the extensions concept
where documentation can be placed in a designated directory and will
automatically appear in the dropdown menu when you select 'Help' in the
main menu. This would allow various people to develop documentation
regarding button, menu options, etc. In windows these type of files are
usually hyperlinked CHM files but I suggest the documentation should
either be HTML or PDF or a combination of both. How hard would it be to
create a program to troll through a 'documentation directory and its
subdirectories' and prepare a menu system based on that structure that
would open the designated file. Anyone could then develop specific
documentation about various areas they use regularly and it would be
automatically available for users - they would not have to search the
web for tutorials, they would all be there already or could be easily
downloaded as an add-on from your website (just like the extensions are
at the moment).

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd