[Gvsig_english] Disrespect

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Sat Mar 27 10:18:11 CET 2010

> a people at this project from the early times, that you words doen't
> show appreciation not respect about all the effort that has
> successfully
> carried the project from 0 to here.

:-O What did I say that makes you think so?

I have been advertising gvSIG everywhere I go over the last
3 years. And I have put a substantial amount of work into
it myself by now.

If you want this to be a community project then you must allow
criticism.

I know this is difficult, but the idea about a fully open source,
community-driven project is that you give up "ownership" of it.
This will inevitably lead to people having devided opinions about
this and that and some arguments going back and forth.
That's natural. I think we are all aware of each other's efforts
and appreciate them. Please do not expect people to just take what
you give them and be happy and grateful about it. That would be nice
(I develop software myself and know all about it) but it's an unrealistic
expectation. The psychology of a community-driven
project is different. Shared ownership of a project means that
everyone feels they are entitled to an opinion about it.

I have always felt very grateful about gvSIG and the fact that
it's available as open source. But as I put more and more work
into it myself I also have a growing feeling that I have the
right to voice my opinion here.

Criticism is not the same as disrespect. Criticism serves to
deal with issues early on, when they can still be fixed and thus
avoid further damage.

Believe me, the argument we are having here is nothing compared
to what will happen once gvSIG gains a larger base of external
contributors. If you think this is bad, then read some posts
on the Linux kernel mailing list.
There are projects where there's fighting about
every new button in the user interface -- and it works!

I have had several comments off list about a perceived lack of
openness in gvSIG's development model. I am just the first one
to mention that openly on this list and thus probably the one
to get burned for it. But I belief it needs to be done, for
the benefit of gvSIG and its community.

I hope you will understand that this is really not a sign of
disrespect for gvSIG, the work that's gone into it and the people
who have done all that work.

Cheers,

Ben