[Gvsig_english] gvSIG 1.9.1

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Sat Mar 27 11:21:16 CET 2010

----- "Luis W. Sevilla" <lsevilla at sigrid.es> schrieb:

> Hi Simon,
> Simon Cropper wrote:
[SNIP]

> > My frustration stems from the desire to contribute more to the
> > community effort but finding it's is a bit like shooting at a moving
> > target. It is very difficult to establish how to address development
> > of documentation when the current version is considered 'dead' and
> > be replaced sometime in the immediate future..
>     IMHO this consideration of 'dead development' was a big mistake.
> I'm
> unsure about the origin, bu I never agreed with this  qualification.
> v1.9 will not have development support ... when 2.0 will be stable,
> but
> by now (and probably by almost all this year) 1.9 it's our stable
> version, the one that the user have, and the one the developers have
> do his job. 1.9 may not be the perfection, but as is our present
> product
> NEEDS support.
>
>     So, this worries about lack of support probably were a
> misunderstand, as next 1.9.1 release will show.

Luis,

I completely agree with your assessment of the importance of
the 1.9 codebase. Like Simon, the "dead code" status of 1.9
was the main source of my irritations and frustrations.

If 1.9 is going to stay alive and will be actively maintained
until 2.0, then I will also add some extra
working days and feed all my recent bug fixes (done for gvSIG
OADE Beta 1 and 2) directly into SVN. That way, we can make
sure that there are no differences between the gvSIG "branches"
in regard to stability.

But we would have to coordinate this with each other. I have
a very tight working schedule for the next weeks, so would there
must be enough time allowed for me to merge all my modifications
and to fix the last remaining 2 or 3 bugs on my list.

Cheers,

Ben

------