[Gvsig_english] gvSIG 1.9.1

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at gvsig.com
Tue Mar 30 00:24:34 CEST 2010

On 30/03/10 00:13, Gismael wrote:
> Ben,
>
> getting funny questions answered in zero time is the most convincing reason
> to consider os.

LoL

> So after seeing our current sw provider taking weeks of time answering
> serious questions, the fundamental direction is sorted out already.

Well I think our lists are quite active and more or less any question
is resolved. Sometimes someone is warnocked but it's not so usual.

> Without having gotten into details, I estimate that the spanish authority
> which has launched gvSIG has made use of EU funding for its project
> accepting to make the outcome open source. What gives me the frown is to see
> it half way between completely community-developped Qgis and lets say uDIG,
> thus being forced to make it available to the public but also forging it
> into the preferred direction.

First was open source, next was funded by EU what boosted the
development. gvSIG was born from an internal aim to migrate all their
systems to free software. Take a look on this interesting document
about the gvPontis project.

http://is.gd/b5KNZ (PDF 6.3MB)

No one but forced to make it available at all. gvSIG was since its
conception free. Maybe not free in the common way other projects
started, as it was developed by company on public contract, but all
the releases were published under GPL.

> Keep  it open, make it lively and give me plugin repositories that overwhelm
> me.

The number of extensions being developed using gvSIG as base
techonology is growing. We expect with the 2.0 refactoring, scripting
will be easy and more consistent, as well as many other improvements,
specially on the data access side.

> By the way: explaining that in comes from Spain, is available in about 15
> languages, having a British developped branch with the best German
> translation available made sceptics somewhat interested.

Why it should be explained that it comes from Spain?

Well, yes, many of its documents are in Spanish, but the translation
activity is really active. There are not so many software that can say
they are in swahili, at least in geomatics.

Good night, that's enough for today :-)

- --
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
gvSIG Team