[Gvsig_english] QUESTION gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- Establish aspect and slope of an area based on contour lines?

Francisco José Peñarrubia fpenarru at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 11:07:16 CEST 2010

Hi Simon.

The answer is yes, you can (Obama joke) ;-)

You will use Sextante tools + Geoprocess tool.

This is a short summary:

1.- Rasterize your contours shape. Sextante -> Rasterization and
interpolation -> Rasterize Vectorial layers. Choose the field name that
contains Elevation data. Remember to choose a good extent and a suitable
cell size.
2.- Now, time to interpolate. And easy method (you can also choose
Krigging, but probable is enough with Sextante -> Basic tools por raster
layers -> Void filling
3.- If you need slope, use Sextante -> Geomorphometry and terrain analysis

After that, you will have an MDT and a slope raster. The next steps are
to crop this MDT with your polygon layer (parcels, for example), convert
this raster to points and assign average slope or altitude to this polygons.

4.- Sextante-> Basic tools for raster layers -> Crop grid with polygon layer
5.- Sextante -> Vectorization -> Raster layer to points layer.
6.- View -> Geoprocess toolbox -> Analysis -> Spatial join => choose
input cover your polygon layer and clip cover you point layer (I know,
the name are confusing the user...). When you click in OK, a window
appears. Choose slope or altitude and click in central button. Choose
average. Then click yes to the questions and you should have a polygon
layer with average slope or altitude, depending on wich raster layer you
choose (MDT or slope).

Hope it helps.

Best regards.

Fran Peñarrubia